Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Hey, watch out!

A few weeks ago the NYT ran an interesting article on runner's road rage - about how some runners react when they almost get hit, or actually hit, by drivers. Now, while I can honestly say I have never had a reason to get fired up at a driver, I can certainly relate to this article. When I was in college in Upstate New York, I actually got hit by a car when I was running. I remember the day vividly because it was my 19th birthday. Fortunately, I saw the guy coming - he was pulling out of a gas station parking lot and distracted - I think he was putting his wallet away - and I jumped out of the way, and because of the way I turned and leapt I ended up only getting clipped on my left wrist. The driver got and apologized, I kept my cool, and since I didn’t seem seriously injured we left it at that. However - I definitely have seen the rage Mr. Collier is talking about. I remember one time I was down in Norfolk and saw an O-5 almost get run over - and then proceeded to watch said O-5 get very red faced and literally almost climbed through the passenger window going after the driver (who naturally was on his cell phone).

In addition to your atypical city streets and rural parks, I routinely run (or have run) at and around military bases, industrial shipyards, foreign cities, and even the flight deck of a Navy warship - all places where cars are generally the least of my worries. It's one thing trying to avoid getting hit by a car, it's another trying to make sure you don't get hit by a forklift. Also, at all the places I mentioned there are things you typically don't see on normal running routes, such as shore steam connection hoses, fuel lines, aircraft tie down chocks, and weapons emplacements which can be serious trip hazards. Of course, growing up in Upstate New York, in the winter months we always had the added danger of running on ice and snow.

So today I want to go over some basic running safety tips I had beaten into my head when I was in high school, through college, and in the military.

1. Always run on the left side of the road facing traffic.
2. "Look ahead" - Be aware of the 15 foot area you are about to step into. Look out for potholes, rocks, or drop offs that may cause injury.
3. Always know where the nearest car (aka the "threat) is.
4. When running with others - point out cars, potholes, trip hazards as you see them.
5. During the winter months, always be on the lookout for ice patches, both for yourself and for any cars on the road.
6. Carry an ID with you (I recommend the RoadID). For longer runs, carry a cell phone in a plastic bag. When running in DC I like to carry my SmarTrip card in case I need to hop onto the Metro.
7. This one is open to debate. When I come to an intersection and there is a car waiting to make a turn, especially when the car is turning right, and I am approaching from the right - I like to run behind them (what we call in the Navy "shooting their stern"). Other people will tell you to run in front, where the driver has the best chance of seeing you. My opinion is that the chances are higher the driver will make the turn without fully looking around before they blindly back down in reverse (remember my 19th birthday?).
8. If you run at night, wear a flashing light, reflective vest, and don't wear headphones.
9. On the subject of headphones, if you wear them, keep the volume at a reasonable level.
10. Finally, while this sounds really basic - always look both ways.

Keep in mind these are only tips, not necessarily rules or guidelines, and as with anything else common sense applies - other circumstances may apply to other situations. Remember (and I will sound like a SWO here), always maintain situational awareness. Stay safe!

No comments: