Sunday, October 26, 2008

I wish I were in pain!

Weird title, right? Well, today was the Marine Corps Marathon. I ran it the past four years, and this year would have been my fifth guaranteeing me automatic registration from here on out. I was supposed to run this one, but I broke my foot awhile back so couldn't run. Not being able to train wasn't the issue, as my marathon training usually borders on pathetic or non-existent. The impact of 26.2 miles on my healing foot would have been too much.

Usually, around this time on marathon day, my body is in a lot of pain, and it's hard for me to walk. I wish I felt that way now. I really enjoy running every year. Sure, it's punishing since I don't train properly, but I enjoy the run, the spectators, and the feeling of accomplishment. Also, I hate spectating at races. I always feel like a dweeb -- like people look at me and wonder why I'm not running. I got that feeling when I went to volunteer when Eugene ran the Ragnar. Of course, people probably don't think like that about me, but maybe it says something about my general approach to life.

At any rate, I was proud of Eugene. He never really trains that hard for marathons either, usually because I make him run with me on long runs and hold him back. This year was no different, but he still managed to eke out a PR. I'll let him explain more about that. I was able to see him at the 17 and 20 mile points, and found him really easily after the race. One of the funny moments was when both DD, one of his friends who runs with him every year, and I both thought that this other guy was him when we saw him from a distance. When he got closer, we both realized that he didn't look anything like Eugene. I guess I'm a bad wife for that.

I'm looking forward to next year. Here's to staying healthy.

No comments: