Sunday, November 9, 2008

A New York Experience

Eugene and I went to the wedding of one of my law school friends in Brooklyn this weekend. A lot of our trip involved running.

Lately, my feet and legs had started to feel achy after runs, which, for me, is a sign that I need new shoes. There are a few running stores in the DC area. Even though I could go after work, I never really do because I'm bound to the train schedule, and the only one I know of in the city is Fleet Feet in Adams Morgan, which is somewhat of a hike from my office. There are two running stores in Annapolis -- the recently sold Gotta Run, which had crappy and inattentive customer service the last time I went (the sales guy seemed annoyed to answer my shoe questions because I was tearing him away from the book he was reading), and Fleet Feet in Eastport. Both close too early for me to make it there after work.

Since we were in New York, which has a ton of running stores, I decided to get shoes there. Eugene thought it would be cool to go to JackRabbit Sports, which sells running, cycling, and swimming apparel, because the sales associates do a video treadmill analysis to determine what type of shoe will work best. Even though I had been evaluated for shoes before, it had been awhile and I wasn't sure if my stride had changed. Also, I had never had a video analysis done before. Based on the video of me running, I have a normal stride (no pronating or supinating) and therefore am best suited to a neutral shoe. The service was excellent, and I bought a pair of Brooks Glycerin -- neutral, yet well-cushioned.

No comments: