Sunday, November 23, 2008

Swimmingly

So, it's been awhile since I blogged. Two reasons for the time away. First, I was away. I went to Seattle for a conference (left this past Wednesday) and second, my leg has been injured. I've dutifully avoided running to allow my leg to heal, and I think that it has finally turned a corner. The pain that I had been feeling above my knee seems to have dissipated. I took advantage of my time at the conference hotel to use the indoor pool. I amazed myself by waking up early on Friday and Saturday to swim -- at 6 and 7 pm respectively. I wasn't even tired in the morning when I woke up, which is even more bizarre.

Swimming is hard! I did about an hour each day. I think that I finally figured out why swimmers sit in the "recovery pool" or hot tub after races. The first morning I went swimming, my locker malfunctioned, so I decided to wait in the hot tub for the security guy. He took longer than I thought, so I went back into the pool because I had been sitting in the hot tub longer than I wanted to. When I went back into the pool, my body felt amazingly fresh and it was much easier to swim.

I'm proud of myself, because this is the first time that I have taken the initiative to exercise while traveling when Eugene wasn't there to harass me to do it.

No comments: